He was a long serving officer in the Royal Mint, joining the staff as a boy in 1922. He was awarded the British Empire Medal in the 1963 New Year's Honours. By 1966 he was the cashier of the mint, and lived on the premises. A member of Stepney Borough Council, (the area of which included the mint) from the 1950s, he was also elected as a Labour Party councillor representing Stepney on the London County Council in 1961. He remained a member of the county council until its abolition in 1965.
- ↑ Register of Births, March 1906, Croydon Registration District, Vol.2a p.333
- ↑ Register of Deaths, Southwark Registration District, Vol.5e p.5 (age 61)
- ↑ London Gazette: . 5 September 1922.
- ↑ London Gazette: . 1 January 1963.
- ↑ Christopher Edgar Challis (1992). A New History of the Royal Mint. Cambridge University Press. p. 603.